Preparing for Funding Overview
Office Hours is our podcast covering general issues related to small businesses and startups. Preparing For Funding is a series of Office Hours episodes hosted by VW Partners Kevin Vela and Rad Wood about getting your company’s legal house in order before taking on funding We are recutting this series to reflect updates in law and venture trends in the last 5 years to better help you navigate through preparing for funding.
- In this episode, we discuss the basics of incorporation, including the difference between corporations v. LLCs, which state to organize in, and when we recommend online document formation tools.
- In this episode, we discuss founders’ agreements, including Restricted Stock Purchase Agreements (RSPAs), Confidential Information and Inventions Assignment Agreements (CIIAAs), and Non-Compete and Non-Solicitation Agreements.
- In this episode, we discuss how to structure a Friends & Family Round to avoid risks that affect later-stage financing rounds.
- In this episode, we discuss pitch decks, including what their purpose is (and isn’t), how to structure an effective deck, and how to get them in front of potential investors.
- In this episode, we discuss the difference between accredited, unaccredited, and sophisticated investors, and where to find them.
- In this episode, we break down the differences between accelerators and incubators and discuss how to determine if an accelerator is a good fit for your company.
- In the final episode of this series, we discuss seed rounds, including the difference between convertible notes, SAFEs, and equity rounds, and how seed rounds have changed over the last 5 years.