Vig & Juice Ep.5: PASPA
Vig & Juice is a podcast discussing the history and legality of gambling and sports betting in the US hosted by three attorneys who practice Fantasy Sports & Gaming Law at Vela Wood.
In this episode, we discuss PASPA, the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992, including its carveouts and nationalization issues as well sports leagues’ role as enforcers of PASPA.
- 0:55 – 1992 Song Game
- 4:00 – Role of PASPA
- 5:15 – Circumstances Surrounding Legislation
- 7:45 – Nationalization Issues & Carveouts
- 9:40 – Betting Cards
- 11:50 – Civil Statute & Private Actors
- 13:50 – Why Leagues Care
- 16:00 – Jai Alai & Para Mutual Betting
- 17:55 – Scandals & Sports Leagues
- 21:10 – PASPA Repeal Preview