Matt graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law in Charlottesville, Virginia. While in law school, Matt was a member of the Virginia Journal of Law and Technology and Entrepreneurial Law Clinic. Prior to law school, Matt graduated summa cum laude from the University of Oklahoma in Norman, Oklahoma with a B.A. in Political Science.
Prior to joining Vela Wood, Matt held investor roles at two venture capital firms and was a corporate associate at Cooley LLP, where he focused his practice on emerging companies and venture capital.
At Vela Wood, Matt advises startups, investors, and established companies across the corporate lifecycle, on matters including formation, debt and equity financings, corporate governance, and M&A events.
*Some transactions reflect Matt’s work at prior firms.
- Represented numerous startups in pre-seed and seed convertible note and safe financings*
- Represented Block Renovation in its $15M Series A equity investment led by New Enterprise Associates*
- Represented Nutrafol in its $35M Series B equity investment led by L Catterton*
- Represented transportation startup in its $25M Series A equity investment*
- Represented life science company in its $50M crossover financing*
- Represented proptech software company in its $70M exit to a private equity firm*
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
- University of Oklahoma, B.A. in Political Science, summa cum laude