Jeff graduated from Southern Methodist University’s Dedman School of Law in Dallas, Texas. While in law school, Jeff was a chief of the Small Business and Trademark Clinic and participated with the ABA Client Counseling and Arbitration teams. Prior to law school, Jeff graduated from The University of Southern California in Los Angeles, California with a B.S. in Public Policy, Management, and Planning with an emphasis on Urban Development.
At Vela Wood, Jeff advises clients on a wide variety of intellectual property, privacy, advertising, and corporate transactional matters, including trademark clearance, trademark enforcement, brand development, copyrights, IP due diligence, technology commercialization agreements, privacy policies, terms of service agreements, endorsement agreements, advertising regulations, and distribution agreements.
Jeff is actively involved in the startup community in the Borderplex region and New Mexico. Jeff currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Arrowhead Innovation Fund, teaches Entrepreneurial Law as an adjunct professor at New Mexico State University, and is an organizer of the El Paso Día de los Muertos Pitch Competition.
Based out of El Paso, Texas, Jeff likes to spend his time hiking or traveling with his wife, Tilli, and their sons Tracen, Marshall, and Tommy.
- Represented El Paso-based SAAS company in a $1.6M seed financing round
- Represented a seller in an $800,000 sale of a Dallas-based content and advertising firm
- Successfully defended SaaS company in FTC deceptive acts investigation relating to data privacy
- Successfully defended closely-held apparel company against well-known international sporting brand company in trademark opposition matter
- Filed 200+ trademark applications
- Played ukelele on stage with Weezer in front of 18,000 (Weezer) fans.
- In the middle of a quest to climb the Seven Summits. Presently 0 for 7.
- Jeff’s first company focused on selling colored popsicle sticks to fellow 2nd graders.
- SMU Dedman School of Law, J.D.
- University of Southern California, B.S. in Public Policy, Management, and Planning